Here it is, from start to finish.
Added the hull sides and did the first bondo application and rough sanding. To see where I’m at I sprayed on a coat of grey primer. I’ll fine tune the sides and corners and then start working on the above deck goodies.
Super early progress photos. These are the very first steps, I’ve got a lot of work ahead of me. It won’t be long before I have the largest 1/285th scale Navy anywhere 🙂
The USS Wasp has been on a shelf out in the shop for about a year, it’s been sitting out there covered in plastic and nearly forgotten. The main reason I built this model was so that I would have a way of displaying my GHQ helicopters, aircraft and other miniatures.
So yesterday, I finally built a display case for the model. This is nowhere near the nicest display case I’ve ever built, especially the base which is more of a temporary base and is made from 1/2 inch MDF. I will replace the base someday with something nicer. But for now, at least the model is inside my office and on display where I can see it. I’m sure now I will be far more tempted to open the case every once in a while and add a few more details to the model whereas before when it was buried in the shop I never would’ve thought about it.
Added some more graphics to the deck (numbers) and worked a bit on the interior bay, finalized the lighting and added a few details to the exterior of the hull.
Quite often when you make a fiberglass mold there will be damage to the master, especially if the master is a bit fragile. Removing a rigid master from a rigid mold can be a little tricky since neither one likes to bend. Luckily the bow broke off nice and clean and was a piece of cake to replace again.
Bow mold is done.